Friday, July 22, 2005:

told him I ain't got five, so he will have to take two

Betty Roche -- Trouble Trouble
A track today from Betty Roche, who played with Ellington in the 1940s and 50s. Roche is known for her phrasing, but on this track I'm especially fond of the trumpet, sax, and guitar. It's a smoking jazz tune about a man who's no end of trouble for Roche but she's staying with him anyway. It's a destructive relationship, a love that won't work out but won't be denied--he keeps leaving; she blames herself for speaking her mind; he calls from jail; she goes to bail him out. It's so bad she can't afford to pay the iceman or the landlord but she just won't dump him.

The track has some hiss and crackle on it--it was ripped from a 78--but the theme is timeless.

As far as I know, this track hasn't been released on CD. I found it on archive.org, which is not a bad source for old jazz and blues tracks that have lapsed into the public domain.

... I'm feeling a bit under the weather. I'll have another post Monday.

Labels: , ,

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home