Wednesday, July 06, 2005:

One Sweet Hello / If Hollywood Don't Need You

Don Williams -- If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do)
Merle Haggard -- One Sweet Hello
And one sad goodbye. This is a concise telling of one of the oldest stories in the book: meeting, falling in love, falling out of it. Love and loss and lingering memories. Merle Haggard has a perfect voice for it, and the violin suits it well.

This is off the Someday We'll Look Back half of Haggard's Someday We'll Look Back / I Love Dixie Blues... So I Recorded "Live" In New Orleans double disc collecting two of his earlier albums; Haggard's had a long career with a number of ups and downs, but I think these two albums are definitely on the up-side.

"If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do)" is another about a relationship that's ended: the singer's girlfriend has moved to L.A. to pursue a career in film; he still burns a candle for her. The song was written by Bob McDill and, like most of Williams' work, it's warm, mellow, and tender, a bit melancholy and wistful. The singer doesn't bear her any ill will; he hopes she succeeds; but he'll be waiting just in case.

This one is available on a number of Williams' compilations, including 20 Greatest Hits; I have his volume 1 and 2 on CD as well a few scattered cassettes and LPs. (I think I Believe in You is all-around fantastic but, then, I'm just very fond of Don Williams' work.)
20 Greatest Hits: Amazon.com | allmusic review
Someday We'll Look Back/I Love Dixie Blues: Amazon.com | allmusic review

Labels: ,

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home