Saturday, May 14, 2005:

I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me

May Wynn -- I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me
Track today isn't so much a diamond in the rough as a ruby from a stack of emeralds: "I Can't Believe You're in Love with Me," a sultry jazz number from the Bogart film The Caine Mutiny. The movie is based on the Herman Wouk novel about a mutiny onboard a naval ship (a topic that might strike you as anything but sultry and jazzy--really, as competent as the movie is, the romance scenes still seem to belong to a different very competent movie from the rest of it).

The song's a jazz standard composed by Clarence Gaskill and covered by some heavyhitters (Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Django Reinhardt, Ella Fitzgerald); the performer here is a woman by the stage name "May Wynn," playing a singer who's taken the stage name "May Wynn."

I ripped the track from the VHS; as far as I can tell, the soundtrack was last released in 1954 on LP. So I hope you can pardon the bit of incidental music that bled over from the previous scene ... I just think there's something timeless & classy & compelling about the track, enough that I wanted to share it.

Labels: , , ,

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home