Monday, March 07, 2005:

Dave Lippman

A number of miscommunications and non sequiters have led me to still have hosting until at least the 10th of March. (Yes, I wrote about it and yes, I cut it; it was not so interesting.)

So. Another post.

Dave Lippman -- I Hate Wal-Mart
Dave Lippman -- Thank You
Dave Lippman is a satirical folk/anti-folk singer with a career going back to Bush the First's tenure as Preznint. Lippman's alter-ego (or at least the most popular of them) is George Shrub, the world's only singing CIA agent; Shrub is a cold-hearted and borderline sociopathic bastard. But that's the kind of person you get when you're working to maintain oligarchy in the face of struggles for fairness and egalitarianism.

Lippman is not his character. Dave Lippman strikes me as intensely moral and clear-headed; he's got principles, and he's pissed when they're violated, whether it's the government or a multinational corporation violating them.

Which brings us to these:

"I Hate Wal-Mart" is a satirical song about some of the (many) reasons to hate Wal-Mart, most of them centering on its relentless hegmenozing of the cultural and financial landscape. What's so great about it, aside from its humor and its catchiness, is that it also makes the occasional stop to skewer hypocritical activists as well. ([I hate] "Starbucks ... not so much.") Would worker oppression by any other name would smell as dank? ... Why yes, I think it would; thanks for asking.

"Thank You" is a sincere number, sweet and thoroughly charming. It's a very peaceful track, one I put on repeat sometimes when I'm chained to this desk doing computer stuff.

Both of these tracks are from Lippman's CD I Hate Wal-Mart, available at his site. Other favorites on that disc include "Roy Jordan and Ed Morgan," "In My Younger Days," and his cover of "Teenage Immigrant Welfare Mothers on Drugs." I haven't heard his other discs, though I think I will.

Lippman and the Shrub are on tour now; in some of his concerts Lippman performs a show called Star of Goliath, arguing in favor of a Palestinian state.

Why hate Wal-Mart?
Not enough reasons for you?

Labels: ,

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home