Monday, August 01, 2005:

Otis Rush

Otis Rush -- All Your Love (I Miss Loving)
Otis Rush -- My Love Will Never Die
These two should have been companion pieces to the Bobby Bland, but ah well. I'd been smitten by the joie de vivre of the Phil Judd so he went next, and then after I'd posted those, Otis Rush came along and smote me as well. I knew he was good, but it was a pleasant surprise to listen to him again and find out just how good.

"All Your Love (I Miss Loving)" sounds like the kind of track Reverend Frost might post. On display: pianos, sax on backup, a distorted guitar riff, some latin percussion, and then that solo that comes in sounding like a cross between surf music and a very stoned Jimmy Page. Wonderfully odd and addictive.

"My Love Will Never Die" sounds like a more traditional electric blues number; it's hard to miss the influence on Led Zeppelin (harder still if you've listened to some of Rush's other tracks, like his cover of Willie Dixon's "I Can't Quit You Baby.") Again with the wailing horns and the piano; and I love that bit where the guitar and the vocals are mimicking each other.

Not much more to say, except that this is a rock solid CD and Otis Rush needs a bit more praise. (Can you give me "hallelujah." Can you give me "praise the Lord.")

Chicago blues doesn't get much better than this.
Allmusic.com biography of Otis Rush
another biography
[Essential Collection: The Classic Cobra Recordings 1956-1958 @ Amazon.com]

Labels:

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home