Monday, June 27, 2005:

John Lee Hooker and some referer oddness

John Lee Hooker -- Your Baby Ain't Sweet Like Mine
Here's a track from John Lee Hooker, sort of a lazily gloating number. Hooker isn't quick to get into fourth gear but still I think he beats any number of bluesmen around the block. This track is from In Person, which is sort of the banana pepper of Hooker's discography; if you want the Thai pepper, you should look into The Ultimate Collection 1948-1990. There are any number of good compilations of his work, but he was prolific and most of them are limited to the works he did for one certain label; The Ultimate Collection is no exception, but I think it comes close to getting all the best tracks.

...

I'm leaving town tomorrow for two and a half weeks, but I've got some posts written up and I'm aiming to get online sometime on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to keep the posts arriving while I'm away. There's a link for a site feed in the column at left, if you'd rather know when there is a new post, rather than when one was intended.

...

Apparently I'm #20 on yahoo's list for "Sly and the Family Stone," which is just wrong, wrong, wrong. It hurts my head to imagine that someone thinks my short writeup is 20th best on the web. Not bloody likely. Try these instead: wikipedia's article or allmusic.com's article.

I think that yahoo's ranking points out a fundamental weakness of ranking sites according to how often they're linked to, which is that it doesn't address the different reasons people link to them: commerce, or freebies, or scholarship, or derision, or any of six dozen other motivations.

I'm also high on search engines for "Joe Sun," which is just fine. I'd love to put him back on the map; he deserves it. Apparently he's staying in Nashville TN these days, playing in local venues. The album I got which had such high praise from Johnny Cash was Out of Your Mind; I've also recently found I Ain't Honky Tonkin' No More but it was while preparing for this trip and I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

Since Google likes me ... here's a penny into a well for one Tony Fernandez, guitarist and singer, former Bruja singer, former Van Dyke Cafe singer, formerly of Gainesville, formerly of Boca, who has dropped off the face of the earth: if you should happen to land on a passing spaceship or extraterrestrial space-swimming turtle, try to steer it back to Earth and drop me a line. And send me some music to post. What I've got is an eight-year-old warped cassette showing a lot of promise. ^_^

Labels:

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home