Thursday, August 18, 2005:

Mandrill: Love One Another

Mandrill -- We Are One
Mandrill -- Love One Another
I picked this one up on a lark: saw the cover, was stunned briefly, laughed a bit, then decided I had to put it on. The first two tracks struck me as solid but nothing to write home about; the third, though, featuring what I'd thought was a banjo, was what convinced me to buy it. It's this banjo sound that hinted at the diversity I might find on the LP, though it turns out there's no banjo credited, so it's most likely a banjo tuning on the rhythm guitar (something John Lennon was known to do when he first started playing guitar).

"Love One Another" is the last track, a Latin/reggae/funk number that sounds like it would be at home on a War album. Striking work, and the lyrics are nice (though the pedant wonders--if we all love each other and treat each other like brothers, who exactly are we conquering? Or is this a peaceful sort of adversity-conquering?)

Regardless, it's solid music with a laid-back easygoing funk to it. I'll be on the lookout for any more LPs by the band.

This one has been re-released on CD with additional tracks.
[Amazon.com]

Labels:

Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home