Sunday, January 21, 2007:

Roots Canal: Martini Cowboy

Jack Grace Band -- Try Not to Cry

OK, let's take a short break from the old stuff. I went out to my favorite club last night and heard an urban country singer named Jack Grace, who bills himself as the Martini Cowboy. I particularly liked this song, so I bought the CD and I'm sharing it with y'all.

He told a pretty funny story about opening for Jerry Lee Lewis the night before, at B.B. King Blues Club in Times Square. Jerry Lee refused to sign his guitar, saying he only signs pianos. But after the set, Grace said he overheard Jerry Lee tell someone, "He's like that Cash boy, but good."

Oh, well. I guess you had to be there.

Bonus track: I'm pissed off because I looked at the forward calendar and saw that the yodeling banjoist Curtis Eller will be at Barbes this Friday night. I've been waiting for months for Eller to play one of the local Brooklyn clubs, but I have theater tickets on Friday night for a play written by an old friend, so I'll have to miss it. And I'll be out of town next Wednesday when he plays Joe's Pub in the city. Shit. Well, if you're in or near Park Slope on Friday, check it out. I already posted my favorite Curtis Eller song, Taking Up Serpents Again, so here's another song from the same album:
Curtis Eller's American Circus -- Never Hide That Scar

[The Martini Cowboy]
[Taking Up Serpents Again]
Comments:
Post a Comment



<< Home